U.S. SENATOR BARBARA MIKULSKI
SEEKING RE-ELECTION IN 2016
RACE SUMMARY: Mikulski has been a role model for women since she first won a Baltimore City Council seat. She has inspired other women to seek political office and has served as a mentor to many other Democratic and Republican Congresswomen. She has been a strong supporter for women’s reproductive choices as well as a strong U.S.- Israel relationship. She enjoys broad support and popularity throughout her home state. JAC proudly supports Mikulski.
- Supported a resolution expressing vigorous support and unwavering commitment to the welfare, security, and survival of the State of Israel as a Jewish and democratic state with secure borders
- Co-sponsored U.S.-Israel Strategic Partnership Act which states that Israel is a major strategic partner of the United States and directs the U.S. to engage in cooperative activities with Israel in the areas such as water, energy, agriculture and homeland security
- Earned a 100 percent pro-choice rating from NARAL
- Supports Roe v. Wade
- Supports Affordable Care Act’s contraceptive insurance coverage policy
- Voted against the Blunt Amendment, also known as the Birth Control Refusal Law, which would have allowed any employer to refuse to cover contraception or any health service required under the health reform law for virtually any reason
- Supports increased funding for women’s health services, which includes Title X family planning programs
In Her Own Words
- "Israel is America’s treasured friend and ally. We are bound together by shared values and interests. The greatest threat to the security of the United States and Israel does not come from what Israel is building. It comes from what Iran is building. The priority of American foreign policy in the Middle East must be to prevent Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons.” 1
- “I believe we should be debating health care, not abortions,” Senator Mikulski said. “This should be about women’s health, healthy pregnancies, healthy babies and healthy families. I believe women’s health care decisions should be made by the woman in consultation with her doctor, not by politicians and insurance executives.” 2
Mikulski was the first Democratic woman to be elected to the U.S. Senate in her own right.
She is the longest serving woman in the history of the U.S. Senate.
Her favorite crab cake recipe is on her Senate website.
As a hobby, she writes mystery books.