U.S. REPRESENTATIVE STENY HOYER
D-MARYLAND 5TH DISTRICT
EDUCATION: University of Maryland, College Park (BA), Georgetown University (JD)
FAMILY: Widowed, 3 children
- Frequent voice in Congress in favor of a strong U.S. - Israel relationship
- Stands in support of Israel's right to self-defense
- Supports sanctions against Iran
- Critical of legislation that restricts a woman's access to abortion
- Stands with Planned Parenthood
- Supports Roe v. Wade and continuously works to protect the rights it promoted for women
In His Own Words
" I am proud to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with women's health and privacy advocates in continuing to defend the constitutional right Roe v. Wade confirmed."1
"It [Israel] has never been a partisan issue and must never become a partisan issue. Israel is an issue that unites Americans because it is rooted deeply in the values and principles of our country." 2
He is a descendant of John Hart, who signed the Declaration of Independence as a delegate to the Continental Congress.
He is on the board of the International Foundation for Electoral Systems, which supports fair international elections.