U.S. REPRESENTATIVE CHELLIE PINGREE
D-MAINE 1ST DISTRICT
EDUCATION: College of the Atlantic University of Southern Maine
OCCUPATION: Human Ecologist
FAMILY: Divorced, 3 Children
FIRST ELECTED: 2008
- Supports Israel’s right to self-defense to protect its citizens against acts of terrorism
- Supports the U.S.-Israel Strategic Partnership Act which will ensure that the U.S. will continue its financial support for Israel's Iron Dome Missile Defense System and authorize the Department of Defense to transfer excess weapons to Israel; and increases the two countries’ cooperation in the areas of energy, water, homeland security, agriculture, and alternative fuel technologies
- Supports a two-state solution
- Earned a 100 percent pro-choice rating from NARAL Pro-Choice America
- Supports Roe v. Wade
- Supports Affordable Care Act’s contraceptive insurance coverage policy
- Voted against the Blunt Amendment, also known as the Birth Control Refusal Law, which would have allowed any employer to refuse to cover contraception or any health service required under the health reform law for virtually any reason
- Supported increased funding for women’s health services, which includes Title X family planning programs
- Co-sponsored Protect Women’s Health From Corporate Interference Act (Not My Bosses Business Act). This Act was aimed at countering the Supreme Court Hobby Lobby decision and would prohibit for-profit employers that maintain a group health plan for its employees from using religious beliefs to deny employees coverage of contraception or any other vital health service required by federal law.
In Her Own Words
"I support a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict that would allow an independent, democratic, and economically viable Palestine to peacefully coexist alongside a secure and democratic Israel. Terrorism by anyone for any reason must always be condemned; I strongly support Israel's right to defend itself against all attacks.” 1
"Frankly, this is another example of how Republicans in Congress just don't understand women's lives," Pingree said. "Over and over again they have tried to restrict abortion, drive women's health clinics out of business, and generally get in the way of what should be a private conversation between a woman and her doctor.” 2
“Not only am I strongly pro-choice, but as a state senator I fought for contraceptive equality, to improve access to women's health care and to make Roe v. Wade a permanent part of Maine law. I've also worked to stop any effort to limit women's access to reproductive services.” 3
Chellie is the first Democratic woman elected to the U.S. House of Representatives from Maine.
She co-owns a bed and breakfast, Nebo Lodge Inn & Restaurant, on Maine's North Haven Island.
Chellie is a trained organic farmer.