U.S. REPRESENTATIVE - MICHIGAN DISTRICT 8
RACE SUMMARY: Defeated two-term incumbent Rep. Mike Bishop (R) with 50.6% of the vote, making her the first Democrat to represent the district since 2011.
EDUCATION: Cornell University (B.A.) Columbia University (M.A.)
OCCUPATION: Acting Assistant Secretary of Defense
FAMILY: Married, 2 Children
- Helped facilitate deal to sell F-35 fighter jets to Israel
- Worked on U.S.-Israeli missile defense programs including Iron Dome
- Supports a two-state solution
- Worked as a grant writer for Isha L’Isha—Haifa Feminist Center, a grassroots feminist organization in Israel
- Endored by EMILY's List
- Supports Roe v. Wade
- Supports Affordable Care Act’s contraception insurance coverage policy
In Her Own Words
[On American leadership as part of a two-state solution] “The only way that this gets done is through strong American leadership. The only way that the two sides even come to the table is if the U.S. with a very strong lead pushes both sides to make forward progress on the issue. 1
“People in Michigan feel like Washington is broken and they don’t have representatives who remember that they are public servants first. I know something about being a public servant.” 2
Slotkin's family founded Hygrade Foods, which created the Ballpark Frank.
Slotkin was awarded the Secretary of Defense Medal for Outstanding Public Service.