U.S. REPRESENTATIVE DEB HAALAND
D-NEW MEXICO DISTRICT 1
RACE SUMMARY: Won the seat of Rep. Michelle Lujan Grisham, who is running for New Mexico Governor, leaving the seat vacant.
VOTING RECORD: Govtrack.us, Project Vote Smart
EDUCATION: University of New Mexico (BA, JD)
FAMILY: 1 child
- Supports a two-state solution
- Supports the JCPOA (Iran Nuclear Deal)
- Supports foreign aid to Israel to maintain its defense and security
- Vows to fight anti-semitism
- Supports Roe v. Wade
- Supports Planned Parenthood
- Fights for the equal access to contraceptives for women of color
- As a single mother, understands the importance of family planning resources
In Her Own Words
""We can't afford to compromise on anything we have fought for -- abortion is legal in our country and I will do everything in my power to stand up for the rights of women and all people to choose wen and how they build a family.” 1
"I would welcome the opportunity to visit Israel to see first-hand this vibrant, thriving country that survived decades of injustice and oppression to build a free and democratic society that serves as the true home of the Jewish people." 2
SOURCES: 1) www.medium.com 2) 2018 Position Papers
Her mother is a veteran of the U.S. Navy and her father was a veteran of the U.S. Marine Corps and is buried with full military honors in Arlington National Cemetary.
She is of the Laguna Pueblo people, and would be the first Native American Woman elected to Congress.
She has a J.D. in Indian Law and was the tribal administrator for the San Felipe Pueblo tribe.