U.S. SENATOR MICHAEL BENNET
RACE SUMMARY: Running for reelection in 2022.
EDUCATION: Wesleyan University (B.A.), Yale Law School (J.D.)
OCCUPATION: Attorney, education official
FAMILY: Married, 3 Children
ELECTED: 2010 (appointed 2009)
- Co-sponsored U.S.-Israel Strategic Partnership Act which states that Israel is a major strategic partner of the United States and directs the U.S. to engage in cooperative activities with Israel in the areas such as water, energy, agriculture and homeland security
- Supports Israel’s right to self-defense to protect its citizens against acts of terrorism
- Supports a two-state solution
- Supports funding for Israel’s Iron Dome Defense System
- Earned a 100 percent pro-choice rating from NARAL
- Supports Roe v. Wade
- Supports Affordable Care Act’s contraceptive insurance coverage policy
- Voted against the Blunt Amendment, also known as the Birth Control Refusal Law, which would have allowed any employer to refuse to cover contraception or any health service required under the health reform law for virtually any reason
- Supported increased funding for women’s health services, which includes Title X family planning programs
In His Own Words
"The Supreme Court's troubling decision now gives employers the ability to dictate even the most basic healthcare services for their employees. As a husband and father of three daughters, I know women should be empowered to make their own healthcare decisions based on what they believe is best for them or their family.” 1
“Let me be clear: the survival of the State of Israel is essential to the security of the Jewish people, and, as far as I am concerned, Israel's survival is essential to our humanity." 2
Was born in New Dehli, India, while his father was serving as aide to the U.S. Ambassador to India.
Grew up in Washington, DC, where his father was an aide to Vice President Hubert Humphrey.