U.S. SENATOR BRIAN SCHATZ
RACE SUMMARY: JAC has been involved early in Schatz's race and will continue to throw support behind him during the primary. In his short time in the Senate, he has developed a strong working relationship with JAC.
Education: Ponoma College, BA
Family: Married, 2 children
- Co-sponsored the United States-Israel Strategic Partnership Act of 2013, which states that Israel is a major strategic partner of the United States and directs the U.S. to engage in cooperative actives with Israel in areas such as water, energy, agriculture and homeland security.
- Supports U.S. funding for Israel’s Iron Dome defense program.
- Original co-sponsor of The Women’s Health Protection Act, which would prevent states from imposing burdensome and unconstitutional restriction anti-choice laws
- Earned a 100 percent rating from NARAL Pro Choice America
- Voted against the birth control refusal law, which would have allowed religious and moral convictions to be imposed on women’s health programs
- Supported increase for women's health services, which includes Title X family-planning program and the Affordable Act’s contraceptive coverage policy
In His Own Words
- "Every woman, regardless of where she lives, should have the right to make her own decisions about her body." 1
- "The resources needed to guarantee american and israeli security cannot be subject to political partisanship. We as a a nation must do what is right and guarantee the security of Israel and the United States of America." 2
He is the second youngest current Member of the Senate.
Sen. Schatz has an identical twin brother, Steve, who works in Hawaii state government.
Hawaii voters gave Barack Obama the largest margin of victory than any other state in the country.