U.S. SENATOR ED MARKEY
Education: Boston College, BA, JD
Religion: Roman Catholic
Elected: 1976, 2013
Co-sponsored bill that supplies funding to Israel’s Iron Dome defense program
Supports Middle East peace talks; was a supporter of the Obama administration’s efforts in these negotiations
- Earned a 100 percent pro-choice rating from NARAL Pro-Choice America
- Supports Roe v. Wade
- Supports Affordable Care Act’s contraceptive insurance coverage policy
- Voted against the Blunt Amendment, also known as the Birth Control Refusal Law, which would have allowed any employer to refuse to cover contraception or any health service required under the health reform law for virtually any reason
- Supported increased funding for women’s health services, which includes Title X family planning programs
- Co-sponsored Protect Women’s Health From Corporate Interference Act (Not My Bosses Business Act). This Act was aimed at countering the Supreme Court Hobby Lobby decision and would prohibit for-profit employers that maintain a group health plan for its employees from using religious beliefs to deny employees coverage of contraception or any other vital health service required by federal law.
In His Own Words
""It is outrageous, offensive, and utterly inaccurate to compare Zionism with fascism or to call it 'a crime against humanity.' These remarks have no place at the United Nations or in any respectable venue and should be strongly repudiated. I condemn the Turkish Prime Minster's words and he should retract them." (1)
"Peace talks cannot continue until Palestinian leaders dismantle all terrorist infrastructure embodied within Hamas, take all necessary steps to counter incitements to violence, and accept Israel's right to exist." (2)
“I think the decision should be between the woman and her physician. That’s it. The woman makes the decision, not some law that’s imposed by politicians.” (3)
He is the second longest serving member of Congress from New England.
He played an Irish Brigade officer in a cameo role in the 2003 film Gods and Generals.