RACE SUMMARY: Kander is waging an aggressive campaign to unseat 20-year incumbent Sen. Roy Blunt (R-MO) who is best known for his staunch anti-choice record. Blunt is consistent in his commitment to restrict women's access to reproductive health care. Kander would bring a young, energetic perspective to Washington, DC. As Missouri's Secretary of State, Kander has strong name ID and earned a reputation for fiscal responsibilty. Kander's voice in the Senate is needed to stop the further erosion of women's health care. He will also work to strengthen the U.S.-Israel relationship.
EDUCATION: American University (B.A.); Georgetown University Law Center (J.D.)
FAMILY: Married, 1 Child
FIRST ELECTED TO PUBLIC OFFICE: 2009
- Supports two-state solution
- Supports continued military assistance to Israel, including funding for Iron Dome and David’s Sling and Arrow
- Supports an economically strong U.S.-Israel partnership
- Supports Israel’s right to defend itself
- Supports full access to reproductive care for all women
- Supports funding for Planned Parenthood
- Opposes 20-week abortion ban
- Supports Roe v. Wade
- Received a 100-percent rating from NARAL Pro-Choice Missouri
In His Own Words
"(Israel) is vitally important to the Jewish people, the Middle East, and the U.S."1
"Israel is our greatest ally in the region, if not the owlrd, we must continue providing Israel with the aid it needs to protect itself."1
"Politicians shouldn't try to overrule doctors, and women shouldn't be forced to explain or justify their own medical decisions."2
"Limiting access to medically necessary healthcare can turn a desperate situation into a tragic one."2
"Decisions about any type of care -- reproductive or otherwise -- should be left to women, their families, and their own doctors, including if those doctors are at Planned Parenthood."3
Kander was the youngest state wide official ever elected in America.
A former Army Captain, Kander served in Afghanistan.
He is a 5th generation Missourian.