U.S. SENATOR SHERROD BROWN
SEEKING RE-ELECTION IN 2018
RACE SUMMARY: Brown has a perfect record on JAC issues, both as a member of the House and in his first term in the Senate. He has worked hard to protect women’s reproductive rights and to strengthen the U.S.-Israel relationship. Ohio is politically a closely divided state and a pivotal one for both parties. Brown's re-election in 2012 ensured the continuation of his work on behalf of women, families and Israel.
Education: Yale University (B.A.), Ohio State University (M.P.A., M.A.)
Family: Married, 4 children
Elected: 1993, 2008
- Supports U.S. funding for Israel’s Iron Dome defense program
- Supported a resolution expressing vigorous support and unwavering commitment to the welfare, security, and survival of the State of Israel as a Jewish and democratic state with secure borders
- Co-signed a letter to the Chairmen of the House Appropriations and Budget Committees warning against cutting allocations to Israel, noting that Israel’s security is linked to America’s safety and interests in the region
- Supports Israel’s right to self-defense to protect it’s citizens against acts of terrorism
- Supports a strong U.S.-Israel partnership in regards to cooperation in the areas of energy, water, homeland security, agriculture, and alternative fuel technologies
- Earned a 100 percent pro-choice rating from NARAL
- Supports Roe v. Wade
- Supports Affordable Care Act’s contraceptive insurance coverage policy
- Voted against the Blunt Amendment, also known as the Birth Control Refusal Law, which would have allowed any employer to refuse to cover contraception or any health service required under the health reform law for virtually any reason
- Supported increased funding for women’s health services, which includes Title X family planning programs
- Co-sponsored Protect Women’s Health From Corporate Interference Act (Not My Bosses Business Act). This Act was aimed at countering the Supreme Court Hobby Lobby decision and would prohibit for-profit employers that maintain a group health plan for its employees from using religious beliefs to deny employees coverage of contraception or any other vital health service required by federal law.
In His Own Words
““Health care decisions should be made by women and their doctors – not by their bosses.” 1
“Among our many shared priorities, we must work together to ensure that Israel can defend itself against growing threats to its security. On Israeli Independence Day and every day, we must continue to remember that there should be no daylight between the U.S. and Israel when it comes to our common defense. That’s why I’m sponsoring the Iron Dome Support Act.” 2
Senator Brown has authored two novels: Congress from the Inside: Observations from the Mahority and the Minority, and Myths of Free Trade: Why American Trade Policy Has Failed.
He was an Eagle Scout
His wife, Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Connie Schultz, wrote ...and His Lovely Wife, describing her experiences as a spouse of a U.S. Senate candidate.