U.S. SENATOR PATRICK LEAHY
RACE SUMMARY: Leahy has been a strong advocate on women’s issues and issues impacting Israel throughout his Senate career. JAC supports Leahy for his consistent commitment to fighting for women’s access to contraceptive services. He enjoys great popularity throughout his state. JAC is proud to call Leahy a friend and looks forward to working with him on issues of concern to JAC.
Education: St. Michael’s College; Georgetown University
Family: Married; 3 children
Religion: Roman Catholic
- Support Israel’s right to self-defense to protect it’s citizens against acts of terrorism
- Supports a two-state solution
- Supports funding for Israel’s Iron Dome Defencse System
- Supports a strong U.S. - Israel partnership in regards to cooperation on in the areas of energy, water, homeland security, agriculture, and alternative fuel technologies
- Earned a 100 percent pro-choice rating from NARAL Pro Choice America
- Supports Roe v. Wade
- Supports Affordable Care Act’s contraceptive insurance coverage policy
- Voted against the Blunt Amendment, also known as the Birth Control Refusal Law, which would have allowed any employer to refuse to cover contraception or any health service required under the health reform law for virtually any reason
- Supported increased funding for women’s health services, which includes Title X family planning programs
In His Own Words
“One thing we all should agree on is that availability of birth control has improved women’s health and reduced the number of teen pregnancies and the rates of abortion. This should be applauded.” 1
"No one here doubts our commitment to Israel’s security, or Israel’s right to defend itself from Hamas rocket attacks… Hamas used the ceasefire to amass more powerful and longer range weapons. Its actions should be universally condemned, Hamas’ unilateral decision to break the ceasefire was deplorable.” 2
At 34, Leahy was the youngest and only Democrat elected to the U.S. Senate from Vermont.
Leahy is a Grateful Dead and U2 fan.
As a Batman fan, he was asked to do a voice-over in Batman: The Animated Series episode Showdown as the Governor of the Utah territory.
Has also had small appearances in the several Batman movies including Batman and Robin, The Dark Knight and theThe Dark Knight Rises.