U.S. REPRESENTATIVE DONNA SHALALA
D-FLORIDA 27TH DISTRICT
RACE: Won the election for the open seat of retiring Representative Ileana Ros-Lehtinen.
EDUCATION: Western College (BA), Syracuse (MA, PhD)
OCCUPATION: Professor; Non-Profit Director
RELIGION: Maronite Catholic
- Committed to a strong U.S.-Israel relationship.
- Committed to a two-state solution, and believes the U.S. plays a critical role in that process.
- Actively worked agains BDS, specifically the boycott of Israeli scholars and educators in the U.S. while the President of Miami University.
- Committed to peace and stability in the region.
- Will protect Planned Parenthood from defunding.
- Believes in a woman's right to choose.
- Supports paid family leave, contraceptive access and workplace protections.
- Promoted the passage of the Violence Against Women Act while Secretary of Health and Human Services
- Will fight against any rollbacks of women's reproductive rights and freedoms
In Her Own Words
“I joined the presidents of the major American universities to denounce the boycott of Israeli academics. I sent a personal letter to the presidents of universities here, as did the other presidents, promising there would be no boycott in the United States and that Israeli scholars would always be welcome in the U.S.” 2
In 1987 became the first woman to lead a Big Ten school a the Chancellor of the University of Wisconsin - Madison.
Served as President of the Clinton Foundation from 2015-2017.
Awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President George W. Bush for her "leadership and determination to ensure that all Americans can enjoy lives in hope, promise and dignity."