U.S. SENATOR MAZIE HIRONO
RACE SUMMARY: When it comes to women’s issues and Israel, JAC knows it can count on Hirono in the Senate. Hirono is popular throughout her state of Hawaii, earning a reputation as a hardworking Senator. She has been a consistent vote on choice and Israel. We proudly support Senator Hirono.
EDUCATION: University of Hawaii at Mānoa (B.A.); Georgetown University Law School (J.D.)
FAMILY: Married, 1 Stepchild
FIRST ELECTED TO FEDERAL OFFICE: 2007
- Strong supporter of Israel
- Supported legislation that would no longer require Israelis to obtain visas to visit the United States for tourism or business purposes
- Supports Israel’s right to defend itself against terrorism
- Earned a 100 percent pro-choice rating from NARAL
- Supports Roe v. Wade
- Supports Affordable Care Act’s contraceptive insurance coverage policy
- Voted against the Blunt Amendment, also known as the Birth Control Refusal Law, which would have allowed any employer to refuse to cover contraception or any health service required under the health reform law for virtually any reason
- Supported increased funding for women’s health services, which includes Title X family planning programs
- Co-sponsored Protect Women’s Health From Corporate Interference Act (Not My Bosses Business Act). This Act was aimed at countering the Supreme Court Hobby Lobby decision and would prohibit for-profit employers that maintain a group health plan for its employees from using religious beliefs to deny employees coverage of contraception or any other vital health service required by federal law.
In Her Own Words
“I consider a woman’s right to choose a fundamental right which must be protected. Future generations of women deserve no less.” 1
SOURCES: 1 www.hirono.senate.gov
Hirono's Senate election win was the first of many for her. She is the first elected female Senator from Hawaii; the first Asian-American woman elected to the Senate; the first U.S. Senator born in Japan; and the nation's first Buddhist Senator.