U.S. REPRESENTATIVE MIKIE SHERRILL
D-NEW JERSEY DISTRICT 11
RACE SUMMARY: Elected to fill the seat of retiring U.S. Representative Rodney Frelinghuysen (R-NJ), who held the seat since 1994.
EDUCATION: Georgetown University (JD); American University, Cairo (Certificate in Arabic Language); London School of Economics & Political Science (M.S.); US Naval Academy (BS)
FAMILY: Married, 4 children
- Support a two-state solution
- Believes strengthening the U.S. relationship with Israel is and should continue to be a national imperative
- Supports the JCPOA (Iran Nuclear Deal)
- Supports Israel's right to exist as a Jewish state and will work to ensure the longstanding U.S. relationship with Israel remains strong.
- Supports Roe v. Wade
- Opposes defunding Planned Parenthood
- Believes the federal government should have no say on when, how, and with whom women decide to start or grow a family.
In Her Own Words
""In Congress, I will be a forcefull voice against efforts to defund Planned Parenthood, restrict access to birth control, and limit a woman's access to safe family planning services.” 1
"In a time of such global uncertainty, the United States must stand firm with the states that are committed to the progressive ideals of democracy, the rule of law, and freedom of speech and religion." 2
SOURCES: 1) www.mikiesherrill.com 2) 2018 Position Papers
Served almost 10 years on active duty in the U.S. Navy. Was a Sea King Helicopter pilot, flying missions throughout Europe and the Middle East.
As an attorney, she has worked in private practice and, later, joined the U.S. Attorney's office in New Jersey.