D - NEW YORK DISTRICT 16
EDUCATION: Hunter-Lehman College (BA), City University of New York - Herbert H. Lehman College (MS), New York Univesity (JD)
FAMILY: Married, 3 children
- Supports Israel's right to self defense and protection of its citizens from attack
- Opposes Trump's withdrawal of the Iran Nuclear Agreement
- Reliable voice in Congress to maintain a strong US-Israel relationship
- Received a 100% rating from the Planned Parenthood Action Fund
- Member of the House Pro-Choice Caucus
- Stands in solidarity with women in the fight to access to safe and legal abortion
In His Own Words
"I will not stop fighting until every American has access to health care—a basic human right, not a privilege reserved for the wealthy." 2
After college, he served has a teacher and guidance counselor in the New York Public Schools.
Since 1989, Engel has arrived very early to the State of the Union in order to get an aisle seat and shake the hand of the President. He broke his 29 year streak for President Trump's 2019 State of the Union address.
He is a big SNL fan, and even named a bill "Flamethrowers? Really?" after Seth Meyers and Amy Poehler's famous Weekend Update bit.