U.S. SENATOR KIRSTEN GILLIBRAND
SEEKING RE-ELECTION IN 2018
EDUCATION: Dartmouth College (B.A.) UCLA School of Law (J.D.)
FAMILY: Married, 2 Children
RELIGION: Roman Catholic
- Cosponsored U.S.-Israel Strategic Partnership Act which states that Israel is a major strategic partner of the United States and directs the U.S. to engage in cooperative activities with Israel in the areas such as water, energy, agriculture and homeland security
- Earned a 100 percent pro-choice rating from NARAL
- Supports Roe v. Wade
- Supports Affordable Care Act’s contraceptive insurance coverage policy
- Voted against the Blunt Amendment, also known as the Birth Control Refusal Law, which would have allowed any employer to refuse to cover contraception or any health service required under the health reform law for virtually any reason
- Supported increased funding for women’s health services, which includes Title X family planning programs
- Co-sponsored Protect Women’s Health From Corporate Interference Act (Not My Bosses Business Act). This Act was aimed at countering the Supreme Court Hobby Lobby decision and would prohibit for-profit employers that maintain a group health plan for its employees from using religious beliefs to deny employees coverage of contraception or any other vital health service required by federal law.
In Her Own Words
"I will always protect a woman's right to choose - no matter what." 1
“Today's announcement that the PLO has reached a reconciliation agreement with Hamas, a known terrorist organization which refuses to recognize Israel and is committed to her destruction, is deeply troubling. For there to be peace, it must be achieved at the negotiating table. By taking unilateral steps at the United Nations and working towards a unity government with Hamas, President Mahmoud Abbas's recent actions are shoving away the hand of peace rather than grasping it.” 2
She was the youngest senator in the 111th Congress in 2009 because she was only 42 years old.
Was named one of Time Magazine's 100 Most Influential People in the World in 2014.