Mary Gay Scanlon
U.S. REPRESENTATIVE MARY GAY SCANLON
D-PENNSYLVANIA 5th DISTRICT
RACE: Won the special election representing PA-7 to fill the vacancy of resigned Rep. Pat Meehan, and won the 2018 election to represent the changed PA-5 district..
EDUCATION: Colgate University, BA
University of Pennsylvania, JD
- Believes Israel is the U.S.'s most important ally in the Middle East.
- Strongly supports a two-state solution.
- Supported the JCPOA (Iran deal).
- Supports Israel's right to defend herself and the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to help Israel mainting its qualatative military edge.
- Believes a woman's medical decisions should be made between her, her family, and her doctor.
- Opposes defunding Planned Parenthood.
- Believes when women have control over their reproductive health, they have greater success in both carreer and life.
In Her Own Words
"I believe in a woman's right to choose, and will fight any legislation that aims to defund women’s health clinics or creates financial barriers to reproductive care." 1
"I will oppose any step to restrict access to abortion care, including standing firm against attempts to defund Planned Parenthood."
"With Israeli civilians and members of the IDF subjected to rocket fire and terrorism, Congress must continue to support critical programs that help Israel upgrade its fleets in air, land, and sea, enhance the mobility of its ground forces, and continue to strengthen its missile defense capabilities."3
Serves as Judicial Clerk for Superior Court of Pennsylvania.
Has served as national ProBobo Counsel at Ballard Spahr LLP for the past 15 years, directing and supervising over 600 lawyers in 15 offices s they provide more than 50,000 housr of pro bono legal services annually to low-income and non-profit clients.