D - ARIZONA
RACE SUMMARY: Former Rep Kyrsten Sinema challenged former Rep Martha McSally for this seat held by retiring Senator Jeff Flake (R).
EDUCATION: Arizona State University (PhD), Arizona State University (JD), Arizona State University (MSW), Brigham Young University (BA)
OCCUPATION: Lawyer, Social Worker, Professor
Elected to Senate: 2018
- Supports a two-state solution, and believes the U.S. must play a role in acheiving that solution through bilateral negotiations
- Believes in Israel's right to self-defense
- Strong supporter of U.S. military and economic aid to Israel, and strong U.S.-Israel relationship
- Supports Roe v. Wade
- Stands with and supported byPlanned Parenthood
- 100% rating from Planned Parenthood
- Believes a woman's health choice should be private, and that women should have equal access to healthcare and health insurance
- Opposes the attempts to roll back contraceptive coverage under the ACA
In Her Own Words
"My first job was at a domestic violence shelter where I worked with rape and domestic violence survivors. In that job, I learned that sexual harassment, assault and abuse are always about power and the abuse of power. This behavior is always wrong." 2
"It is wrong for politicians to use women's health for political points." 3
Is an ultramarathoner - completed the Ironman triathalon.
Was named one of Time magazine's "40 Under 40" in 2010.