U.S. SENATOR BARBARA BOXER
SEEKING RE-ELECTION IN 2016
RACE SUMMARY: Cardin is a well-respected public servant from the state of Maryland. In each of his House races, he faced little opposition and won easily.
- Co-sponsored U.S.-Israel Strategic Partnership Act which states that Israel is a major strategic partner of the United States and directs the U.S. to engage in cooperative activities with Israel in the areas such as water, energy, agriculture and homeland security
- Supported U.S. funding for Israel’s Iron Dome defense program
- Supported a resolution expressing vigorous support and unwavering commitment to the welfare, security, and survival of the State of Israel as a Jewish and democratic state with secure borders
- Boxer authored the United States-Israel Enhanced Security Cooperation Act of 2012, which reaffirms in the strongest terms the special relationship between the United States and Israel while also ensuring that Israel has the tools it needs to defend itself
- Earned a 100 percent pro-choice rating from NARAL
- Supports Roe v. Wade
- Supports Affordable Care Act’s contraceptive insurance coverage policy
- Voted against the Blunt Amendment, also known as the Birth Control Refusal Law, which would have allowed any employer to refuse to cover contraception or any health service required under the health reform law for virtually any reason
- Supported increased funding for women’s health services, which includes Title X family planning programs
- Co-sponsored Protect Women’s Health From Corporate Interference Act (Not My Bosses Business Act). This Act was aimed at countering the Supreme Court Hobby Lobby decision and would prohibit for-profit employers that maintain a group health plan for its employees from using religious beliefs to deny employees coverage of contraception or any other vital health service required by federal law.
In Her Own Words
- "There is no doubt that Israel is facing unprecedented challenges today. The Middle East is undergoing volatile change, bringing with it serious threats to Israel’s national security. Meanwhile, Iran continues its reckless and dangerous pursuit of nuclear weapons. Now more than ever, Israel needs our support." 1
- "Improving access to birth control is good health policy and good economic policy. It will mean healthier women, healthier children and healthier families. It will save money for businesses and consumers. We should hold to the promise we made women and provide this access broadly. Our nation will be better for it. ” 2
- “It is simply unacceptable that the brave women who fight to defend our country are being denied access to the full range of reproductive health care they need. I am proud to join my colleagues in introducing this legislation (Increase Access to Reproductive Health Care for U.S. Service Women) to end these unfair and unjust policies once and for all.” 3
She worked as a legislative aid to former California Congressman John Burton, whose seat she ultimately won after his retirement.
Senator Boxer is the author of two fictional novels: A Time to Run and Blind Trust.
She has made cameo appearances in television and film playing herself, including Curb Your Enthusiasm, Parks & Recreation, Gilmore Girls, Murphy Brown, and Traffic.