U.S. SENATOR JEANNE SHAHEEN
RACE SUMMARY: Senator Shaheen will be up for reelection in 2024.
Education: Shippensburg State College, BA; University of Mississippi, M.S.S.
Occupation: Small business owner
Family: Married, 3 children
- Co-sponsored the resolution for Israeli Self-Defense, which expressed expressing vigorous support and unwavering commitment Israel
- Co-sponsored resolution which strongly supports Israel's inherent right to act in self-defense to protect its citizens against acts of terrorism
- Authored amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act ending a three decade-long discriminatory policy that banned women in the military from accessing abortion coverage in cases of rape or incest
- Voted against the birth control refusal law, which would have allowed religious and moral convictions to be imposed on women’s health programs
- Earned a 100 percent pro-choice rating from NARAL
- Endorsed by EMILY’s list
In Her Own Words
"A peace agreement with two states living side by side in peace and security is the only long-term, sustainable solution for the people of the region, and it is critical to the interests of the U.S., Israel, the Palestinians, the Arab world, and the entire region." 1
"The relationship between the United States and Israel remains unbreakable." 2
"I strongly believe that every woman should have the reproductive health care coverage she needs wherever she is and whenever she needs it." 3
Shaheen is the first female U.S. Senator from New Hampshire.
She is also the first female governor of New Hampshire.
Shaheen’s father’s family—all Republicans — lived in Missouri during the Civil War and fed potatoes to Union troops.