U.S. SENATOR RON WYDEN
RACE SUMMARY: JAC was an early supporter of Wyden during the beginning of his political career. He has consistently shown his commitment to the U.S.-Israel relationship. As an avid environmentalist, Wyden turned this passion to encouraging better cooperation between the U.S. and Israel on energy-related issues. JAC is proud to call Wyden a friend.
- Co-sponsored U.S.-Israel Strategic Partnership Act which states that Israel is a major strategic partner of the United States and directs the U.S. to engage in cooperative activities with Israel in areas including water, energy, agriculture and homeland security
- Supported U.S. funding for Israel’s Iron Dome defense program
- Supported a resolution expressing vigorous support and unwavering commitment to the welfare, security, and survival of the State of Israel as a Jewish and democratic state with secure border
- Earned a 100 percent pro-choice rating from NARAL Pro-Choice America
- Supports Roe v. Wade
- Supports Affordable Care Act’s contraceptive insurance coverage policy
- Voted against the Blunt Amendment, also known as the Birth Control Refusal Law, which would have allowed any employer to refuse to cover contraception or any health service required under the health reform law for virtually any reason
- Supported increased funding for women’s health services, which includes Title X family planning programs
- Co-sponsored Protect Women’s Health From Corporate Interference Act (Not My Bosses Business Act). This Act was aimed at countering the Supreme Court Hobby Lobby decision and would prohibit for-profit employers that maintain a group health plan for its employees from using religious beliefs to deny employees coverage of contraception or any other vital health service required by federal law.
In His Own Words
- “Israel has a right to defend itself from missiles fired by any terrorist organization at its civilians.” 1
- On the Nelson Amendment to the Affordable Care Act that would have require women purchase a rider, or additional insurance, to cover abortion services: “This would be a great mistake to pass this amendment and rollback the clock on women’s rights.” 2
Wyden received a scholarship to play Division I basketball at the University of California - Santa Barbara. He successfully played there for two seasons.
He is the son of Holocaust survivors.