U.S. SENATOR SHELDON WHITEHOUSE
RACE SUMMARY: Whitehouse’s home state of Rhode Island is heavily Democratic. He won his first Senate race with a 65 percent vote margin, which helped give Democrats control of the Senate. He is a strong ally of JAC supporting its core issues in the Senate.
Education: Yale University (B.A.), University of Virginia, (J.D.)
Family: Married, 2 children
- Co-sponsored U.S.-Israel Strategic Partnership Act which states that Israel is a major strategic partner of the United States and directs the U.S. to engage in cooperative activities with Israel in the areas such as water, energy, agriculture and homeland security
- Supported U.S. funding for Israel’s Iron Dome defense program
- Supported a resolution expressing vigorous support and unwavering commitment to the welfare, security, and survival of the State of Israel as a Jewish and democratic state with secure borders.
- Earned a 100 percent pro-choice rating from NARAL
- Supports Roe v. Wade
- Supports Affordable Care Act’s contraceptive insurance coverage policy
In His Own Words
- “The United States has a unique bond with Israel and her people, a staunch and enduring alliance founded on our nations' shared commitment to democracy.” 1
- "For a nation that came into the world at a time of turbulence, and which has faced many challenges throughout the years, Israel's continued success is a living monument to the strength and will of the Jewish people there and around the world. I have no doubt that Israel will continue to grow and prosper into the future." 2
Whitehouse's father was a WWII Marine pilot.
Both his father and grandfather held diplomatic posts.
Whitehouse is a descendent of William Bradford, colonial governor of Massachusetts, and Charles Crocker, who was instrunental in building the Central Pacific Railroad.