U.S. SENATOR PATTY MURRAY
EDUCATION: Washington State University (B.A.)
FAMILY: Married, 2 Children
- Co-sponsored U.S.-Israel Strategic Partnership Act which states that Israel is a major strategic partner of the United States and directs the U.S. to engage in cooperative activities with Israel in the areas such as water, energy, agriculture and homeland security
- Supported a resolution expressing vigorous support and unwavering commitment to the welfare, security, and survival of the State of Israel as a Jewish and democratic state with secure borders
- Supports Israel’s right to self-defense to protect its citizens against acts of terrorism
- Supports a two-state solution
- Supports funding for Israel’s Iron Dome Defense System
- Supports Roe v. Wade
- Supported increased funding for women’s health services, which includes Title X family planning programs
- Voted against the Blunt Amendment, also known as the Birth Control Refusal Law, which would have allowed any employer to refuse to cover contraception or any health service required under the health reform law for virtually any reason
- Voted against the birth control refusal law, which would have allowed religious and moral convictions to be imposed on women’s health programs
In Her Own Words
“I’m here today to provide a simple reality check. We’re not going back. We’re not going back on settled law like Roe v. Wade or the Affordable Care Act. We’re not going to take away a woman’s ability to make her own decisions about her own health care and her own body.” 1
"Israel has a fundamental responsibility to protect its people. Hamas must end its attacks on innocent civilians and close the smuggling tunnels that have served as the gateway for arms.” 2
She is the first female senator elected from the State of Washington.
She has 6 siblings.
As a teenager, her family was forced on welfare.