Statement on the U.S.-Israel Strategic Partnership Act of 2014
December 4, 2014
With the bi-partisan passage of the United States-Israel Strategic Partnership Act of 2014, Congress yesterday reaffirmed the importance of our country's strong relationship with Israel. The bill was introduced by Reps. Ted Deutch (D-FL) and Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL). This landmark act will specifically ensure that the U.S. will continue its financial support for Israel's Iron Dome Missile Defense System. The act also directs the U.S. to expand its cooperation with Israel to historic levels in many key areas. Israel, with its democratic values and commitment to human rights, remains a beacon of hope in a turbulent region. This type of cooperation will benefit both countries and ensure that the State of Israel will continue to remain a close, dependable U.S. ally for generations to come.
The U.S.-Israel Strategic Partnership Act's provisions:
- Declare Israel to be a major strategic partner of the United States
- Authorize the President to promote cooperation with Israel in the fields of energy, irrigation, agriculture, cyber security, and more
- Authorize the Department of Defense to transfer excess weapons to Israel and enhances U.S. military readiness by expanding our own forward-deployed weapons stockpile there
- Urge the President to support the continued procurement and enhancement of missile defense systems such as Arrow 2, Arrow 3, David's Sling, and the Iron Dome
- Express support in Congress for the inclusion of Israel in the Visa Waiver program
- Advance negotiations aimed at securing Strategic Trade Authorization for Israel
Joint Action Committee for Political Affairs is a bipartisan political action committee (PAC) committed to the special relationship between the US and Israel and a social agenda that includes reproductive choice and separation of religion and state. JAC supports US Senate and House candidates who uphold this agenda and maintains an ongoing dialogue with those it helps elect. In addition, JAC serves as a political resource for the Jewish community, furnishing information about candidates, elections and issues.